I first found this recipe on Pinterest (follow me here) from the blog Diva Eats Italia. It looked so easy and delicious, and I had some ricotta cheese in the fridge that needed using, so I decided to give it a go. I adapted the recipe slightly based on my tastes and what I had in the cupboard.
- 2 x 375g tubs of ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter (room temperature, for greasing)
- 1 Tbsp sugar (for coating pan)
- 2 Tbsp almond meal (for coating pan)
- 2 x 250g packets of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp almond meal
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place ricotta in a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl for 30 minutes to strain excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and place racks in bottom third of oven.
- Grease bottom and sides of 23 cm springform pan with butter. Mix 1 Tbsp sugar with 2 Tbsp almond meal and sprinkle over pan to coat. Tap out the excess and set pan aside.
- Puree drained ricotta in food processor for 15 seconds or until smooth. Add cream cheese and puree until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan and bake in oven for about 1 hour 20 minutes, or until just set.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool in pan for about 3 hours.
- Refrigerate overnight so cake can set completely.
- Enjoy with strawberries (and cream, if you like)!
The only problem with this cake is that you can’t eat it right away! Because I had to let it cool overnight to set, we couldn’t eat it last night for dessert. So I was naughty and had a slice for breakfast. I just couldn’t help myself!