I made these muffins a week ago and really liked them except for one thing. I substituted coconut oil for olive. But it was much too strong. So now I’ve put back the olive oil, which makes a big improvement. I also didn’t use any orange flavour, but that was just because I didn’t have any oranges! I think it would taste nice (I love jaffa lollies). I iced them with my favourite icing and they were yum.
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup rapadura
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup cocoa
- 4 eggs
- Combine the sourdough starter, flour and milk in a large bowl and leave overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease 2 12 hole cupcake trays.
- In a clean bowl, mix rapadura, rice malt syrup, butter/oil, extract, salt, baking soda and cocoa together. (I did this by hand).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Gently stir the chocolate mixture into the starter mixture until smooth.
- Pour into cupcake pans and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks completely before icing with the best icing ever!