I’ve always loved banana cake. My mum makes a really good one. I wanted a sourdough/gluten-free version so I adapted this recipe to make the most delicious sourdough banana cake! It’s moist without being stodgy, and it’s actually pretty good for you too.
- 170g olive oil
- 200g honey
- 100g rapadura
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
- 180g coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 475g sourdough starter
- 4 over-ripe mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Butter 2 average sized loaf pans.
- Beat oil, rapadura honey in stand mixer until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest and continue beating until mixture lightens in colour.
- Add the sourdough starter and mix on low speed until almost fully incorporated.
- Sift the coconut flour with the salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the batter in batches, alternating with the mashed banana.
- Fold through the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake at 180°C for about an hour, or until a skewer in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on wire rack before enjoying with a little butter!