My mum makes a good pav. So does my mum-in-law. My mum likes to add lots of cream and berries. My mother-in-law adds a layer of custard in the middle.
It’s not the most healthy dessert (although you could say it’s high-protein cause of all the egg whites)! But an occasional splurge calls for a something special. Something like pavlova.
Here’s my recipe:
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 250ml cream
- 1 punet strawberries
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line baking tray with baking paper, then dust paper with 1 teaspoon cornflour.
- Using electric mixer beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until thick and glossy. Add remaining cornflour with last tablespoon of sugar. Fold through vanilla and vinegar.
- Spoon meringue onto baking paper and shape into circle with a slightly higher edge and lower centre.
- Use a knife to draw the meringue upwards around the edge. This will keep it from collapsing.
- Slide tray into oven and reduce heat to 100°C and bake for 1 1/4 or until dry and crisp.
- Turn off oven and open door. Allow to cool completely.
- Slide onto serving plate and top with whipped cream and strawberries.