Sam grew heaps and heaps of chilis over the summer. We couldn’t keep up with eating them (especially as Sam doesn’t really hot food), so I thought I’d give making sauce out of them a go.
I got the recipe from Nourished Kitchen. It’s one of my favourite sites. Here’s what I did:
- 1.5 kg red chilis (not sure what variety mine were, anything works!)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, squashed and diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh whey
- Combine all ingredients in food processor until finely chopped.
- Spoon mixture into glass jar, cover and allow it to ferment for 5-7 days at room temperature.
- After it has bubbled for about a week, place in fridge and store for several months.
- (The original recipe strained the sauce before refrigerating it, but I like mine chunky so left it.)
- Use sparingly, as it’s very, very hot!