Not with shampoo. Not with conditioner. Not with soap.
I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar.
It’s a bit weird, I know. Very crunchy. It’s one of the reasons my brother calls me a hippy.
The thing is, it works.
I’ve never had nicer looking hair. It lasts a lot longer between washes (4-ish days), when I used shampoo I had to do it every second day. I got my hair cut a week ago after almost a year of no trims, and I had hardly any split ends!
Apart from working well, it’s cheap and involves no nasty chemicals.
I store my baking soda in a shaker container in the shower. Whenever I want to wash my hair I pour about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar into a plastic jug I keep in the bathroom. Sometimes I add a few drops of lavender essential oil for a nicer smell.
Shampoo (baking soda):
- First, I wet my hair and comb it through so there are no tangles.
- Then I shake about 3 tablespoons of baking soda into my palm. I sprinkle a little water onto it to make a paste.
- Then I rub the paste into my hair and scrub really well for a few minutes.
- When my hair feels nice and clean, I rinse my hair and comb it again.
- Hold the jug with apple cider vinegar under the shower and fill with water.
- Pour apple cider vinegar/water mixture over hair.
- Leave in for a few minutes.
- Comb hair, then rinse out.
I’ve never noticed a vinegar-ey smell after my hair dries, so don’t let the thought of having stinky hair put you off. I do sometimes miss the nice scent of shampoo, and sometimes I miss the fluffy lather of shampoo. But I don’t miss the oiliness or lankness of how my hair used to be. I’ve been doing this for about 2 years now and I’m never going back to normal shampoo!
Check out these sites for more information about the no poo method of hair care:
- No ‘Poo To You, Too!!!
- No ‘Poo: Get Beautiful Hair with Just Baking Soda & Vinegar
- No ‘Poo FAQ
- How to wash your hair without shampoo
- Info: Shampoo Free