It’s starting to cool down and feel more like autumn here. Perfect weather for soup. Pumpkin soup is one of my favourites. I’ve recently discovered the secret to making it best. Roast the veggies first! Here’s what I do:
- 1 large pumpkin
- 1 large sweet potato (just cause it was sitting there)
- 2-3 brown onions
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- small knob of ginger
- olive oil
- chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Chop up vegetables into similar size chunks and place on roasting pan with olive oil.
- Roast vegetables in oven until cooked, about 1 hour.
- Place vegetables into large saucepan and add some stock.
- Use stick blender until a lovely orange liquid mush is formed. Keep blending and adding enough stock until you reach the consistency you like.
- Add spices and blend a bit more, then serve.
What’s your favourite soup recipe? How do you make pumpkin soup? Do you agree that roasting is the best way to do it?