The other night we had lamb shanks for tea. I’ve made them a few times before, sometimes in the slow cooker, sometimes in a casserole dish in the oven. I love them. This time they turned out better than ever. Here’s my recipe:
- 1 large brown onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- half a sweet potato
- 1 can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth (I used chicken cause I didn’t have any beef, and it still worked out well)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- sprig of parsley and oregano
- rind of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Cut up onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrot and celery and place on bottom of slow cooker.
- Place lamb shanks on top of vegetables.
- Process tomato, broth, wine, herbs and spices (all other ingredients) in food processor until chunky sauce is formed.
- Pour over shanks and veggies in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Serve on a bed of quinoa.