This cake is very special. It is rich and moist, while not being too heavy. You need to eat it with some whipped cream and strawberries. It’s also good for people who can’t eat wheat/gluten.
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 150 g dark chocolate, melted
- 1 & 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 125 g ground almonds
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150 g unsalted butter
- Grease a deep, round 23 cm cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Combine cocoa and water in bowl, then stir until smooth.
- Combine cocoa mixture with chocolate, butter, sugar and almonds. Stir well until combined.
- Stir in egg yolks one at a time.
- In mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites gently into chocolate mixture in two batches.
- Pour into pan and bake at 180°C for 1 & 1/4 hours, or until firm.
- Cool in pan before removing, then serve with whipped cream and strawberries!
Here’s a picture:
I’m still not used to baking in this oven, and I accidentally burnt the top on one side. Even slightly burnt, it tasted great!
I got this recipe from my mum, who got it from her neighbour who is gluten intolerant. It’s an easy and delicious cake to make if you need something that’s gluten-free.